Aunt Maria by Diana Wynne Jones - Week 5 Response


        What I like about this story is how it plays to the typical story tropes to let you know you are in a preteen fan stay novel but does make some improvements. The story starts out with "family going to live with a relative plot". The missing parent (Dad this time), relative turns out to be strange/mystical, and supernatural elements are all here. I like the exclusion of the men in this town being just zombie-like with no will of their own. Then our main character's brother Chris comes to this town and is turned into a werewolf. I'm a fan of the supernatural and these elements plus an engaging plot all comes out to be an enjoyable read that I wished I read as a teen myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bloodchild by Octavia E. Butler - Week 12 Response/Assessment

The Martian by Andy Weir - Week 9 Response

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - Week 6 Response