Bloodchild by Octavia E. Butler - Week 12 Response/Assessment

"Bloodchild" by Octavia E. Butler

Week 12 Response/Assessment

1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?

      While reading this I felt very unnerving. I was very confused most of the read about what was exactly going on. The text has many uncomfortable things and phrases in it. There is a lot of talk about eggs, grub, and killing of animals. The animals I found out to be humans I think. It seems that most of the characters are evolutions of humans that are changed by a species that uses the human body as a host. There is this mother character, T'Gatoi who I believe isn't a human but was one of these "alien" species from birth. Most of the time she is trying to get her son, Gan to take her egg to birth "young" I believe. I may have interpreted some things wrong but I was kind of a hard story to follow.

2. What connections did you make with the story you read? Discuss the elements of the work with which you were able to connect?

     At one point towards the end of the story, Gan sacrifices his body to his mother for his sister, Hoa. I have a younger sister and I know I'd do anything for her. Granted our mother isn't some alien creature trying to put eggs in us, but I still know what it is like to have a sibling I'd sacrifice myself for. Other than that there wasn't too many elements I could connect with because of the major fictional nature of the text.

3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make?

      I think the biggest change I would make would be to make the story a tad clearer? I think one big mystery in the story is that you find out they kill humans and use them as hosts, but it didn't have big impact on me as a revelation. If I were converting this to another medium I'd choose film because you would see instantly these creatures aren't exactly human, then you can just enjoy find out about their culture and way of life. Being able to see that our main characters aren't human I think would really help the telling of this story. I would also change the story by adding a little more content to it. I would add more of the everyday life of these characters in this world. I feel like the story just jumps you into a scene that just goes on for the entire text.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Martian by Andy Weir - Week 9 Response

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - Week 6 Response