Frankenstein by Mary Shelley - Week 1 Response



        As a kid I always loved Frankenstein's monster. He was my favorite halloween character and I dressed up as him multiple times, so I loved the opportunity to finally read the book. Little did I know it isn't so much the story I had in my head. The story even has this other main character named Captain Walton. The story is really about this monster that wants to know the meaning of life and why he was created. He kills multiple people, but he doesn't know better and his creator tried to get rid of him. Then the story shifts as these two travel around the globe hunting each other in this revenge story. I think there isn't really a "hero" in this story. Both Dr. Frankenstein and the monster do terrible things to one another and others. Dr. Frankenstein creates the monster a bride/companion only to kill it in front of the monster. The thing I like most about this novel is this theme of companionship. Every human being wants companionship one way or another and so does this monster.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Martian by Andy Weir - Week 9 Response

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - Week 6 Response

Bloodchild by Octavia E. Butler - Week 12 Response/Assessment